Preparing for Interviews and Offers of Admission
InterviewsWhen should I hear back from the medical schools?
Medical School AcceptanceWhen will the medical schools start sending offers of acceptance?
Medical School Acceptance
Medical schools may begin extending offers of acceptance to applicants beginning October 15.
- September 15: Texas Tech University HSC School of Medicine and University of North Texas HSC - Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine notify Early Decision Program applicants regarding their admission action
- October 15: Medical schools begin extending offers of acceptance to: Non-Texas resident applicants, Special Program (MD/PhD, DO/PhD and MD/MBA) applicants, Assured Acceptance Program applicants
- October 15 - December 31: Pre-match offer period for Texas residents
- January 17: Submission deadline for match preference rank list. Must be entered online by 5:00 PM CT
- February 3: Match results announced
- After February 3 acceptances are offered as openings occur
- April 30: Applicants holding more than one acceptance must choose one and withdraw from all other schools
- May 15: After 5:00pm Texas medical schools will not offer positions to applicants already holding an acceptance from another Texas medical school
See Deadlines and Important Dates for more information.
- Prior to the match, medical schools may extend offers of acceptance to Texas residents for a period between October 15 and December 31. For more information on Pre-Match offers please see the TMDSAS Match page.
The match is conducted to confirm the pre-match offers applicants are holding and to fill the remaining slots for the medical schools. Individual match results will be posted on the TMDSAS application at 8:00 AM (CT) February 3. For more information on the Match please see TMDSAS Match.
Non-Texas residents, MD/PhD, DO/PhD, MD/MBA and Assured Acceptance Program applicants are NOT included in the match process.
With the exception of offers received during the pre-match period, only the most unusual of circumstances justify an applicant’s holding a place in the entering class of more than one US school for more than two weeks since this may adversely affect other applicants. The schools; therefore, reserve the right to withdraw offers of acceptance to individuals who hold places for longer periods without specific authorization from the schools involved. Applicants may withdraw active applications from any school any time during the application period.
Applicants may hold multiple offers of acceptance from the TMDSAS medical schools as well as other non-TMDSAS schools such as Baylor College of Medicine. By April 30th of the matriculation year, each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school should choose the specific school at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application from all other schools from which acceptance offers have been received.
Applicants who receive offers of acceptance from more than one medical school must choose the one school that he/she prefers and withdraw from the other school(s) in accordance with the terms of the acceptance (generally this should be within a two week period).
After 5:00 pm CT on May 15th, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant who is already accepted by another medical school in Texas. This is the result of an agreement between the four UT System Medical schools, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas A&M University College of Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, and University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth College of Osteopathic Medicine.
MD/PhD and DO/PhD Acceptances
- UNT-Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine may begin issuing offers of acceptance into their combined DO/PhD program on October 15. Applicants applying to MD/PhD programs through AMCAS should contact the respective schools for further information regarding acceptances.
- Applicants may accept MD/PhD or DO/PhD offers from more than one school without the risk of losing any offer.
- An MD/PhD or DO/PhD applicant who receives offers of admission from more than one participating school must choose the one school that he/she prefers, and withdraw from the other school(s) in accordance with the terms of the acceptance. By April 30th of the matriculation year, each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school must choose the specific school at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application from all other schools from which acceptance offers have been received.
- Applicants to the combined MD/PhD and/or DO/PhD programs, who have not received a
joint degree program offer of acceptance by January 10, may participate in the TMDSAS
match process to be eligible for acceptance into an MD or DO only program at participating
medical schools. To participate in the match, the applicant must have submitted an
application to TMDSAS and have been interviewed at the respective medical school.
These applicants, even if accepted into any MD or DO only program, may still be accepted into a combined MD/PhD or DO/PhD program at any participating school should an offer be extended after the match but before the beginning of orientation at each medical school.
Policies Regarding Acceptance
The Professional School Committee on Admissions
Each professional school has an Admissions Committee which is responsible for the evaluation of students admitted to its program. The committee members, appointed from the faculty, review all applications. They then recommend for acceptance those applicants who best meet the established admissions criteria. All actions on admission to a professional program are the prerogative of the Admissions Committee of each professional school. Questions concerning admission decisions should be directed to the medical school concerned.
Transcripts Following Acceptance
TMDSAS maintains the records of accepted applicants. Therefore, official transcripts for coursework taken subsequent to acceptance up to matriculation must be sent to TMDSAS at the end of each semester that coursework is taken. Applicants who are accepted and plan to enroll in medical school will also be required to submit a complete set of transcripts to the school at which they plan to enroll. These transcripts must include all courses taken prior to enrollment. TMDSAS does not reproduce transcripts for the schools.
See Deadlines and Important Dates for more information.
Applicant Responsibilities During Admissions ProcessInterview Protocol, withdrawing an application, and enrollment.
Interview Protocol and Etiquette
Applicants must respond promptly to all invitations for interview. In those instances, when an applicant cannot appear for a previously scheduled interview, the applicant is responsible for promptly notifying the school. The cancellation should be undertaken by telephone with the school, followed by an email. If an applicant cancels an interview within 72 hours of scheduled day and time, and TMDSAS is notified by an institution, all schools to which the applicant applied will also be notified in writing.
Withdrawing an Application
Applicants who choose to withdraw from one or more schools must notify each school and TMDSAS in writing via internal message of their decision. Withdrawn applications can be reinstated by sending a message through the application internal messaging system until Oct 1, 2019.
Administrative Withdrawals: After October 1st, 2019, applicants who become unresponsive to attempts of contact by TMDSAS administrators for 90 days or more, will be administratively withdrawn.
Notifying Institutions of Intent to Enroll
Applicants who have made a final decision on the school they plan to attend have the obligation to promptly withdraw their applications from all other schools.
Learn about the TMDSAS match