• Skip navigation bar
  • Home page
  • Search

  • Foreign Coursework

    State law requires that academic work taken at foreign colleges, universities or preparatory schools shall be excluded from the calculation of the GPA for students seeking admission to graduate or post-baccalaureate professional school.

    Undergraduate foreign coursework that appears as transfer credit on the transcript of a regionally accredited US college will count towards the 90 hour requirement. Each individual transfer course credit granted by the US school must be listed on the transcript. Lump sum credit with no specific course and hour identification will not be accepted.

    Foreign coursework will not count towards satisfying any of the required courses listed in the Education Requirements section. All prerequisites must be taken at a regionally accredited US or Canadian college or university.

    Copies of transcripts or other credentials from foreign schools MUST be provided to TMDSAS in order to distribute to the medical and dental schools where they are evaluated based on criteria established by the Admissions Committee at the respective school. Consideration of coursework from schools outside the US or Canada requires an evaluation by a certified educational credentials evaluation service. Courses taken at a Canadian university are not included in the overall GPA calculated by TMDSAS but are evaluated at the respective TMDSAS schools.

    International Students

    The following professional schools will only review and consider for admissions applicants who are U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents of the U.S.:

    • UT School of Dentistry at Houston
    • UT Dental School at San Antonio

    Foreign Transcripts

    Course work taken at foreign institutions must be evaluated for US equivalence by one of the following evaluation services and an official copy must be sent from the service directly to TMDSAS. Your application will not be complete without an official evaluation. Transfer credit appearing on US institution transcripts or other foreign evaluations will not be accepted. You should contact one of the following:

    World Education Services (WES)

    Josef Silny & Associates, Inc

    Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc

    International Education Research Foundation, Inc.

    Foreign Credentials Service of America