TMDSAS Application Instructions:
The application for entry year 2017 will be available at 8:00 am CT on May 1, 2017.
The deadline to submit your application is 5:00 pm CT on September 29, 2017.
Early filing is strongly encouraged.
Everything needed to complete your application is available on this website. Reading the Application Instructions below and the Section Overview will give you an edge and will make the application process much easier. We recommend that you print these out to use as a reference when filling out the application.
You are also required to certify that you have read the TMDSAS instructions at the time of submission.
The TMDSAS application supports recent versions of Firefox and the latest version of the Internet Explorer browser.
Important Note: Do not use the back button while completing the application. Doing so is very likely to cause errors and other unpredictable behavior. Instead, use the navigation links to move from page to page.
- Online Application
- Application Fee
- Copy of Visa or Permanent Resident Card (if applicable)
- Official Transcripts
- TAMU CVM Applicant Evaluation Forms
- Official GRE Score Report
- Secondary Application
TMDSAS will begin to process your application once the online application has been submitted and the following items have been received:
- Application Fee:
You can pay the application fee by credit card, electronic funds transfer/ACH or by mailing in a money order/cashier’s check drawn on a U.S. bank.
- Copy of Visa or Permanent Resident card (if applicable)
- Spring 2017 Grades (or Winter 2017 grades if on a quarter system)
Important: Applications are transmitted to schools even if TMDSAS has not received all supporting documents. Schools are updated on a daily basis with supporting documents.
To learn more about each section of the application, visit the Section Overview. You are strongly encouraged to print a copy to refer to while completing the application.
Getting Started - Creating an Account
- Click on the [Applicant Login] tab in the upper right-hand corner of this page.
- Click on the [New User? Register Here] link.
- Fill in the required information and click [Register] to have your account created.
- The application will come up and you can begin filling out the application.
Do not mail in any supplemental materials until the application has opened and you have completed the [Colleges Attended] and [Letters of Evaluation] sections. Placeholders for these documents are created when you complete each section.
If you have registered for an account or if you applied since 2010 it is not necessary to go through the registration process again. You will sign in to TMDSAS using the same email address and password that you used for the previous application.
The majority of the information entered into the previous year’s application will “roll-over” to the current application for your review. For these sections, you MUST still go to each section, review the information displayed, make corrections where necessary, and then SAVE the page.
Information entered in the following sections will NOT roll-over: Select Schools, Demographic, Family Info, Financial, Essays, Letters of Evaluation, Proof of Residency, Planned Enrollment, Chronology of Activities and Certification Statement. These sections will need to be completed again. After you have saved each section of the application, go to the Certification and Payment sections to complete your application.
You must also re-send your transcripts, letters of evaluation and pay a new application fee. It is recommended that you do not send the same letters from the last application cycle. Letters of evaluation should be updated or come from new evaluators.
At the time of submission, you must provide payment for any application fees. The application fee is non-refundable.
TMDSAS does not grant fee waivers.
You can pay the application fee by credit card, Electronic Funds Transfer, EFT/ACH or by mailing in a money order/cashier’s check drawn on a U.S. bank.
The EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer) payment method allows you to send TMDSAS a payment over the Internet as simply as writing a check. In general EFT transactions are performed by the Automated Clearing House, ACH, through the Federal Reserve system. All you will need is a check so that you can enter your routing and account number. You must be authorized to sign checks on this account to use this payment method.
The following are considered Application Irregularities and are reported to the appropriate professional associations.
- Non-payment of a returned check
- Placing a stop-payment order or canceling a check in lieu of formally withdrawing an application
Either of these actions could initiate an investigation that would result in the veterinary school being notified of the irregularity.
Flat fee for all applicants regardless of the number of schools applying to.
Applicants who are not US citizens and are here on a Visa or are a Permanent Resident must submit a copy (both front and back) of their Permanent Resident card or visa stamp in their passport to TMDSAS. This documentation can be uploaded directly to the application via the [Residency Documents] section. The documents can also be mailed to TMDSAS. If mailed, include your full name and TMDSAS ID on the copy.
Foreign national applicants whose application for Permanent Resident Status has been preliminarily reviewed should have received a fee/filing receipt or Notice of Action (I-797) from USCIS indicating the I-485 has been reviewed and has not been rejected. These applicants must submit a copy of the fee/filing receipt or Notice of Approval to TMDSAS. This documentation can be uploaded directly to the application or mailed in to TMDSAS. If mailed, include your full name and TMDSAS ID on the copy.
You must arrange for a sealed official transcript, accompanied by a Transcript Request Form, to be sent directly to TMDSAS from every accredited US and Canadian institution you have attended. Do not have any transcripts delivered to TMDSAS until you have completed the [Colleges Attended] section of your application.
TMDSAS will accept a transcript sent by an applicant as long as it is in the official sealed envelope from the Registrar. The transcript MUST be accompanied by the Transcript Request Form. Transcripts cannot be more than a year old. Photocopies or faxed copies are NOT accepted.
Official transcripts will be necessary for all undergraduate, graduate and professional coursework. Transcripts must be submitted from each school attended even if:
- Coursework appears as transfer credit on another school’s transcript
- Coursework does not count toward a degree
- Coursework was taken while attending high school
Only one transcript from each school attended is required. Transcripts released to students are considered official ONLY if they have been duly sealed and certified as original and valid by the registrar.
TMDSAS recommends that you obtain a personal copy of each official transcript for your records to help you properly complete the [College Coursework] section of your application.
It is your responsibility to verify and ensure that TMDSAS has received all of your official transcripts. Check the status of your transcripts regularly by logging into your application and viewing the [Status] page.
Transcript Request Form
The TMDSAS Transcript Request Form allows you to create and print request forms to send to registrars at schools you have attended.
- Complete the [Colleges Attended] section of the application.
- Download the TMDSAS Transcript Request Form.
- Fill out the PDF and print it out OR print it and fill it out by hand.
- Deliver completed form to registrar at each college attended. You can fax the form to the school if necessary.
- Inform the registrar that the form must accompany the transcript when delivered to TMDSAS.
TMDSAS accepts electronic transcripts from Credential Solutions (formerly eScrip-Safe) only. You can find a list of institutions they serve on their website.
Follow steps 1 – 5 above to have your English-speaking Canadian transcripts to be sent to TMDSAS.
Study Abroad Transcripts
If you participated in a Study Abroad program under the sponsorship of a US institution and the international coursework appears on the US transcript as regular itemized credit, only list the US institution on your TMDSAS application. DO NOT list the international (foreign) institution. Arrange for only the US transcript to be sent to TMDSAS.
If the sponsoring school is different than your home institution, such as Arcadia University, University of Minnesota Danish Institutes of Study Abroad, or International Studies Abroad (IES), you must list the sponsoring school. Have the transcript from the sponsoring school sent to TMDSAS.
Overseas US Institution Transcripts
Overseas US institutions are:
- Located outside US borders,
- Accredited by a regional institutional accrediting agency recognized by the US Department of Education, and
- Use English as the primary language of instruction and documentation.
If you attended an overseas US institution, report it to TMDSAS in the same manner as your US and (English-speaking) Canadian institutions and arrange for an official transcript to be forwarded to TMDSAS. List all coursework on your TMDSAS application. US institutions with campuses overseas are also considered US colleges for which transcripts are required and all coursework must be listed.
TMDSAS will accept a photocopy of a foreign transcript since it may be difficult to obtain an official transcript.
By state law, foreign coursework is not included in the calculation of the admission GPA. Transcripts from foreign schools will be forwarded to the schools so they can be evaluated based on criteria established by the Admissions Committee at the respective school. Course work taken at foreign institutions must be evaluated for US equivalence by one of the evaluation services listed on the Foreign Coursework page and an official copy must be sent from the service directly to TMDSAS. Your application will not be complete without an official evaluation.
A separate transcript from a foreign university is not required for formal Study Abroad programs if the enrollment in these courses is through a US sponsoring institution. Grades from these courses must be reported on the US institution transcript as if the course was taken in residence.
* NOTE: Transcripts sent to TMDSAS remain the property of TMDSAS. Transcripts are not forwarded to the medical schools. The transcripts are used by TMDSAS to validate coursework listed on the Record of College Work. If accepted to veterinary school, applicants will be required to send transcripts to the accepting school before matriculation.
Veterinary applicants are required to submit THREE individual evaluations directly to TMDSAS. Each evaluation must be completed on the Texas A&M Veterinary Applicant Evaluation Form.
At least one evaluation must be completed by a veterinarian. The veterinarian should address what the applicant did while working for him or her. They should also honestly evaluate the applicant's strengths and weaknesses.
Only the TAMU CVM Applicant Evaluation Form will be accepted from your evaluators. No accompanying letter is required or desired by the veterinary school. Letters of evaluation will not be accepted nor will they be included with your application.
Evaluations are an important part of the selections process and should be completed by individuals other than family members who have known the applicant for an extended period of time. The applicants are strongly encouraged to read the questions that are asked on the evaluation form and select evaluators who can provide the most thorough answers to the questions.
Veterinary applicants are not allowed to submit extra evaluations.
You can submit your TAMU CVM Applicant Evaluation Forms via one of the following two options:
OPTION 1: Email the TAMU CVM Applicant Evaluation Form to the Evaluator:
- Enter name of evaluator in placeholder in [Letters of Evaluation] section.
- Select Upload Directly as response to “Indicate how your evaluator will send your letter to TMDSAS”.
- Enter a valid email for the evaluator.
- Once evaluator's name and email are provided, the evaluator will receive an email from TMDSAS with the evaluation form directing him or her to the TMDSAS Evaluator Portal.
- Follow-up with evaluator to ensure he/she received the instructional email and attached evaluation form from TMDSAS.
- Evaluator will follow instructions provided for completing and submitting the evaluation form and uploading it to the TMDSAS Evaluator Portal.
OPTION 2: Print & Mail the TAMU CVM Applicant Evaluation Form to the Evaluator:
- Enter name of evaluator in placeholder in [Letters of Evaluation] section.
- Select Print as response to “Indicate how your evaluator will send your letter to TMDSAS”.
- Download and print the TAMU CVM Applicant Evaluation Form. Print a form for each evaluator that will mail in evaluation form.
- Complete the top portion of the TAMU CVM Evaluation Form.
- Deliver the form to your evaluators. You can do this by mail, by fax or in person.
- Your evaluator must then fill out the TAMU CVM Evaluation Form and sign it. Evaluator should mail the completed TAMU CVM Evaluation Form to:
P.O. Box 2175
Austin, TX 78768
Remember, evaluation letters will not be considered complete until TMDSAS has received the required evaluation forms from the individuals indicated on the application. We understand that evaluators may change. You MUST update TMDSAS of an evaluator change immediately.
Once you have secured a different evaluator, please notify TMDSAS of the new evaluator. To make this change, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your full name, TMDSAS ID and indicate the name of the evaluator that needs to be removed.
Provide the following information for the evaluator that should be added:
- Salutation (i.e. Dr, Prof, Mr, Mrs, etc.)
- First name of Evaluator
- Last name of Evaluator
- Suffix (i.e. DVM, PhD, etc.)
- Relationship to you (Practicing Veterinarian, Academic Advisor, HP Advisor, Professor, Business Associate, Work/Volunteer Supervisor, Other)
- Letter delivery method (upload directly to TMDAS, Interfolio or regular mail)
- Email address of evaluator if he/she will upload directly to TMDSAS
- Whether or not you release your right of access to the letter
A score on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required as part of the application. Texas A&M University considers scores on the verbal, quantitative and analytical writing sections.
Scores must be submitted directly to Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine using the institution code #6812. Failure to do so will result in disqualification of the applicant's file.
Applicants must have taken the GRE between August 1, 2011 and September 30, 2017 to be considered for entry Class of 2018.
Information regarding the GRE can be found on their website: GRE Website
Secondary applications should be completed as soon as you submit your TMDSAS application.
Any questions relating to a secondary application should be directed to the respective school. Any secondary application required documents and/or fees should be sent directly to the school and NOT to TMDSAS.
Completion of the secondary application is required by Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine. It is available at:
What Happens After I Submit My Application Online?
- After submitting your application, you may make updates as needed to certain sections.
You are able to make changes to the following sections yourself by logging back on to the application: Contact Info, Colleges Attended, College Coursework, Planned Enrollment, My Account and Test Scores.
- To update the information in your Letters of Evaluation section, you must email TMDSAS at email@example.com - include your full name, TMDSAS ID and the exact change that needs to be made.
- Provide payment of application fee.
- Mail in your Visa/PR card, if required, to TMDSAS if you are not uploading these items electronically.
- Complete secondary application. It is the applicant's responsibility to complete the secondary application.
- Ensure all supporting documents are sent to TMDSAS promptly. The fastest and most convenient way to check your application status is on-line. You can view the real-time progress of your application by:
a. Logging into your TMDSAS application.
b. Viewing the [Status] page. The [Status] link is the first option under the [Application Info] heading on the right-hand side of the application.
c. Scroll down towards the bottom of the page until you reach the [Supporting Documents] heading. If a document has been received, the receive date will appear next to the document name.
- Once the application is transmitted to the schools, applicants will receive notification via email from TMDSAS.
- Evaluation of applications and admission actions will be made by the veterinary school.
Important: Applications are transmitted to schools even if TMDSAS has not received all supporting documents.
Schools are updated on a weekly basis with supporting documents.
Validation of Colleges and Coursework
The information submitted by the applicant in the[ College Coursework] section is compared to the official transcripts for all applicants selected for interview.
This ensures that all coursework is listed in the [College Coursework] section and that each course is properly classified by TMDSAS standards.
NOTE: Updated transcripts must be submitted to TMDSAS after each semester/quarter that coursework is completed between time of application and expected enrollment into veterinary school.
Validation procedures generate an official Prescribed Course Report that indicates any deficiencies in coursework.