Texas Academic Fresh Start
Your past grades don’t have to count against you. If you’re a Texas resident and apply for admission (or readmission) to Texas public colleges or universities and enroll as an undergraduate, you may be able to begin a new course of study with a clear academic record.
If you have credits for college courses taken ten or more years prior to the planned enrollment date, those credits (and grades) can be ignored for enrollment purposes under the "Academic Fresh Start" Law (Section 51.931 of the Texas Education Code).
Please remember: This is an all or nothing option. You cannot pick and choose which courses to ignore and which courses to count. If you choose the "Academic Fresh Start" option, you will not receive any credit for any courses you took ten years prior to the date you are granted "Academic Fresh Start".
This means that courses taken previously:
- Cannot be used to fulfill prerequisite requirements
- Will not be counted in your GPA calculations
Academic Fresh Start Requirements and Eligibility
The following sequence must occur for an applicant to be eligible to invoke the Academic Fresh Start provision when applying to a post-graduate or professional program.
- Apply for admission to any undergraduate public institution of higher education under the Academic Fresh Start provision.
- Be admitted to the institution as an undergraduate student under the Academic Fresh Start provision. Generally a contract or some signed documentation is required.
- Enroll in the institution under the Academic Fresh Start provision.
- Complete a course of study. (For TMDSAS purposes, an applicant must complete a minimum of one course in residence during the initial term of enrollment under the Academic Fresh Start provision. This term must be completed before the application deadline - October 1.)
- Earn a baccalaureate degree. (This requirement is waived by applying to medical school because a baccalaureate is recommended but not required. A minimum of 90 undergraduate semester hours, including ALL of the required courses, must be earned, after the 10 year cutoff date is established by enrolling under Academic Fresh Start.)
- Apply for admission to post-graduate or professional school under the Academic Fresh Start provision.
- TMDSAS must receive all transcripts before we can process an Academic Fresh Start applicant.
NOTE: The term in which the applicant was admitted to the undergraduate institution MUST be noted on the institution's transcript. That gives TMDSAS the authority to drop all courses 10 or more years prior to enrollment under Academic Fresh Start in calculating the admission Grade Point Average (GPA). A letter from the institution's Registrar certifying admission and enrollment under Academic Fresh Start is required in lieu of the notation on the institution's transcript.
For complete information on Academic Fresh Start refer to the College for All Texans website.